At it again

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by TheGrissom, Apr 9, 2019.

1. OP
    TheGrissom

TheGrissom

So its been a month since my last update. I ended up selling 22 cpds and kept 5 for myself bringing the total to 27 fish. I put 36 eggs into the tank so that is a 75 % success rate. My best thus far. I also have 27 sawbwa juveniles. I am selling 10 at the end of the month and keeping the rest as my school is a little small for my liking - about 20 fish currently. I would like to up that to about 50. Additionally I have a whole tankful of month old emerald rasbora fry. I moved 30 fry into that tank and it had some fry in already so I estimate about 40 to 50 fish currently. I only have 4 adult fish so I will probably keep half of those that make adulthood and sell off the other half.

A new day and MariaS like this.
  2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

That's awesome, well done

Some very good results there

4. Amakawa

Amakawa Comp Coordinator

To bad you arent in JHB, struggle to find quality CPDs here...:(

5. OP
    TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Thank you

6. OP
    TheGrissom

TheGrissom

I now have one empty grow tank and 3 empty spawning tanks. I am moving so CPDs tomorrow into the spawning tanks. Hoping to get at least 30 to 50 eggs in the next week or so.

7. OP
    TheGrissom

TheGrissom

I struggle to find in PE as well. Usually when I do find any cpds I spawn them when they are still in quarantine, raise the fry and then mix them with my breeding stock. I try to do this every year or 2 just to introduce new genes to the mix. The adults in quarantine usually dont look good. If they make it to 6 weeks and show no signs of disease and look better I add them to my breeders. Usually they dont last a month.

8. OP
    TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Breeding going well with me - move 30 eggs from a single cpd female last night. I estimate about 50 eggs in total (I was counting but lost count as it takes time to find the eggs and move them). Letting the adults spawn for another week and then moving them back to their species only tank. Hoping to get some new cpds for genetic reasons by the end of the month so I need my tanks as QT tanks.

9. Pezulu

Pezulu

You seem to be doing well with the CPDs.
    I did it on a small scale, using only a few tanks.

In my case, I had 2 x 10 litre tanks filled with Java Moss, and a sponge filter bubbling in a corner.
    The CPDs were kept in a 45 litre planted tank, where they were fed and readied for breeding.
    I would remove a female and 2 males, and transfer them to the small breeding tank, where they were kept for a week, before moving them back to the species tank.
    Once the fry in the breeding tanks were about 1cm, they were moved back to the species tank. At that size the CPDs tended to leave them alone.

This worked for the CPDs as well as Emerald Rasbora

10. OP
    TheGrissom

TheGrissom

I'm doing both those species along a similar line. Getting lots of fry - that was never the problem for me. Fry survival rate was a problem. Now I am feeding vinegar eels for the first 3 weeks. Fry survival is much higher. I also have 4 spawning tanks now and 6 grow out tanks so I am able to produce a much larger number of fry than I did previously (only 3 tanks, all used for spawning and grow out).

11. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

@TheGrissom have you watched some of Rachel O'Learies video's, on youtube, about her summer tubbing breeding?

Basicly start the tub with plants, after a month add the adults, just before autumn comes remove adults and fry.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

12. OP
    TheGrissom

TheGrissom

I havent watched any youtube videos on fish breeding. I am giving this a go in a 1000 l white flow bin filled with rain water. Just going to wait until November once things have heated up a bit. I am keen to see how successful this will be. Did a bit of research on Myanmar - the weather seems pretty similar to PE with respect to temperatures - now I am wondering weather I can get away with setting my heaters to 16 degrees in winter next year. I will experiment with this a bit first as I dont want to wipe out my entire colony doing something silly.

13. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Sounds good with the flow bin. As long as you have green water going with some plants to give some zooplankton it will work 100%.

Mybe try the 16° on a small group and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

Recent Posts