Arduino and your tank

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by f-fish, Jun 30, 2012.

1. DigiGram

DigiGram

What type of sensors do you guys need? Mine will be using a PT100 probe or similiar for temperature, and a CdS photo-resistor for the colour comparator. Further I'll use some smoke, lights and mirrors for the carousel positioning system... Okay, maybe rather just laser beams or IR LED's with IR detectors. Cost effective stepper motors still elude me, but I'll find something

2. Guest

3. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

arduino001.jpg

Finally had some time to go and collect new toys today - spend time this evening to get some of the basics working.

Above the uno with a I2C 16x2 LCD, an inaccurate DHT11 (Room temp and humidity) and the accurate ds18b20 waterproof 1-Wire digital temperature sensor..

All work as expected - nice thing about the ds18b20 it is digital and you can have loads of them on the same "bus"

Still to do, get the real time clock working and see I can start logging this to a micro-sd card.

Once I have the above working with 4 ds18b20s, I'll have a look at adding the next type of sensors.

Later Ferdie

arduino001.jpg

4. Jagwa

Jagwa

very nice

5. KillerBunny

KillerBunny

Did you buy the temp sensors like that or did you have to waterproof them yourself? I've only seen them in the normal transistor form.

6. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

@KillerBunny You can get them fully assembled - +- R90 (got all mystuff from robotics org za), just remember that you need a 4.7kohm pull-up for the one-wire bus (I forgot to get them so had to go hunting in my school stash) .... I wanted to get the RTC going, but my antex is bust so I need a new soldering iron to fit a header.

I did manage to make the probes auto-assign and read, so now I just add them on the bus and they are logged and displayed.

Below me looking at the temp difference in my one 4ft - 3 probes (left [0], middle[2] and right[1]) heater is on the left and the HMF on the right.

Room temp 16 with 43% humidity.

Oh BTW the 300W Jager is set to 19 degrees - yeah right!!!

Code:
    Temp 0 DHT11 16 
    Humi 0 DHT11 43 
    Temp 0 28EEB2080400006A 24.37 
    Temp 1 28C19B08040000F3 23.87 
    Temp 2 28FB70080400007B 24.25 
    Temp 0 DHT11 16 
    Humi 0 DHT11 43 
    Temp 0 28EEB2080400006A 24.37 
    Temp 1 28C19B08040000F3 23.87 
    Temp 2 28FB70080400007B 24.25 

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Jagwa

Jagwa

@f-fish, thats some interesting info you gathered there. I have been trying to find this:

Data-Logger Shield for Arduino

but it looks like ill have to wait a bit longer. where did you get your rtc chip/shield?

8. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

all the toys are from robotics ... the web site does not always list everything - they still had 5 RTC's left on Saturday (I did a site visit - to make sure they are real) .. RTC1307 - Real Time Clock - Combustory or Real Time Clock Module - SparkFun Electronics is what I have - not the most accurate but OK for R155 the micro-sd they had 1 of ... maybe they get more - not cheap R220 odd (next time I will get the network shield with SD card) it is from adafruit .. Micro SD card Tutorial - using SD cards with an Arduino!

so all in all R375 for the logger's bits, indeed I do feel I should have been able to get a RTC shield for that type of money

Later Ferdie

9. DigiGram

DigiGram

Wow, why are Arduino and its shields so expensive??

Looks nice! Does your glass thermometers also read around 24? And why do you want a humidity sensor? Just for interest, or do you aim to actually control it? I will include one for my reptile system, but I'm not sure yet if I want to include one for the Aquarium system, will it be worthwhile?

Well, I guess the Arduino shields are more expensive to work with than building PIC compatible hardware yourself for the fact that you need less soldering??

Anycase, would love to see how this project evolves while I wait for my PIC18F order to be financed ;)

10. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I have a desktop oregon scientific weather station ... in short it has 3 wireless sensors (measures temp + humidity ) and then I have 1 thermo sensor that I used to move from tank to tank and get an accurate tank temp .. the unit also has an LCD weather display that includes temp, humidity and a barometer on device, downside is this specific unit does not have a data out or PC hook-up - so for the past X years I have always started to capture high and low values in the month on all sensors - capture them to a spreadsheet - but that was a pain and lasted no more than 3 months.

Doing the Arduino was more a case of extending this hobby to my first true hobby back in school - i.e. electronics (I spends nights etching PCB's with ferro chloride etc ... ) the use of the boards are more a case of not having working kit (I do not even own a working soldering iron). Truth is, if this sucks me in, I see a conversion in the fish room but that is for another thread. Using the arduino was to simple and yet so satisfying - took me back to my early pic days, only this was cut and past without the push and pop, loved digging in the data sheet to marry the include files with the actual workings.

Cost ... yes the boards are ridiculous - well the arduino is affordable the rest typical import and ZA resell, truth is I could get most of the same functionality of ebay at a 1/3 of the price , take the ds18b20 probes .. local R90 each same stuff on ebay (yes even the instruction card on mine match the ebay offer) $3 with free shipping. A RTC here ... as listed below on ebay $4. So maybe this means I need to done some HK shopping.

I am so out the loop on the PIC stuff - will have a look at the PIC18F ...

Later Ferdie

11. DigiGram

DigiGram

In that case the humidity sensor and Arduino actually makes sense, so you can add on as you go. I'll be using a PIC18F2550 (ordering 3, only needing one to build a PICKIT2, so will have 2 left to play with), and basicly the same pic with more A/D pins, PIC18F4550. Both connect directly to USB with bootloaders, so the only issue is I have to do the soldering myself (not really an issue), and I have to do the programming in C (I'm a Python guy, but I know C and the Big G {Google}). Only downside to PIC over Arduino Leonardo for me is the fact that you need a PIC programmer, but I'm building one for next to nothing, so the rest of my modules should be quite cheap.

There is such nice things to do weathery wise with electronics, to bad I don't show much of interest in weather patterns, but logging and controlling, now there's my passion....

12. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

good news .. RTC is working (so now I can do logging with a time stamp) bad news seems like the adafruit micro-sd is DOA ... need to get that sorted to log data to SD card.

2012/7/20 5:31:13 Temp 0 DHT11 18
    2012/7/20 5:31:13 Humi 0 DHT11 51
    2012/7/20 5:31:13 Temp 0 28EEB2080400006A 19.87
    2012/7/20 5:31:13 Temp 1 28FB70080400007B 24.37
    2012/7/20 5:31:24 Temp 0 DHT11 18
    2012/7/20 5:31:24 Humi 0 DHT11 51
    2012/7/20 5:31:24 Temp 0 28EEB2080400006A 19.87
    2012/7/20 5:31:24 Temp 1 28FB70080400007B 24.25

Later Ferdie

13. DigiGram

DigiGram

Can't you use a normal cheap SD card? Or do you need a specific shield for working with SD cards. I'm trying to convince my better half to buy the PIC's I require end of this month and not end of next month..... Can't wait, your progress inspires me to go for gold

14. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

The shield thing is a time saver - big time ... I found a working SD shield http://iteadstudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=232 plugged it in and the sketch just worked - so the adafruit one was poked.
    Funny who inspires who on the form ... @Jagwa 's thread gave me the push Arduino Controlled Tank

My next thing to get is the water level sensor and adding a LUX sensor, the latter has me scratching since it is a pure 3.3V device not the normal 5V like the rest .. yes the arduino has clean 3.3. on the dev board but I already have the display and RTC on the I2C pins at 5 volt .. so mixing 3.3 on those pins will not work.

Later Ferdie

15. Jagwa

Jagwa

hey @f-fish im falling behind a bit here, im waiting for my rtc and sd card breakout boards to arrive. Hopefully on monday.

16. Hawk

Hawk Clown Fish :-)

@f-fish; @Jagwa - Sorry to interupt your thread but have any of you ever created a visual device to tell if there is current running through your tank. I was on a thread earlier and electrocution came up. Scary stuff! I want some sort of light that at a quick look will tell me if it's safe to stick my hand in my tank. Zoom suggested unplugging all power before putting my hand in the tank which makes plenty of sense but for a quick "needing to put my hand in the tank scenario" a visual would be awesome. Again, apologies for the hijack (seem to be doing a lot of this - :embarrest:)

17. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Actually not a bad idea ... I am assuming you are talking about detecting a voltage difference between between yourself, the tank and earth ... I would not want to sacrifice a microprocessor for this, maybe something like an analogue multimeter dial rather?
    Let me ponder this a bit.

18. DigiGram

DigiGram

I like the idea. What about just running an earth wire to your tank? I know this will cut the power without telling you about the problem, but you can rig a transformer to send a digital signal to your Arduino if the power to your tank is ON, thus it will know when the power tripped and warn you with an alarm.

For the electricians out there. How much is needed for your Earth Leakage to trip? milliamps? does it just detect the voltage? Maybe we can design something that will lower the voltage or current to the Earth Leakage so we can get an output on the microcontroller, but not yet trip the power?

Just an Idea...

Another terrible idea will be to measure the electromagnetic field your water creates current flows through, but personally I think the value would be waaaaaay to low.

19. Hawk

Hawk Clown Fish :-)

@f-fish - Just looking for a visual indicator to tell me if there is current flowing through the water (ie heater broken) before I stick my hand in and get electrocuted :afraid:

20. DigiGram

DigiGram

I think the problem is, current does not just flow in the water along with the fish, it needs a start point (your broken heater), and an end point (earth via you). So a way would be to connect the Arduino to the water and to earth, but then you will get a visual indicator when your Arduino starts smoking. Also your power will most likely go down.

21. KillerBunny

KillerBunny

This is definately a very dangerous idea, and if I'm not mistaken, it is illegal as well. If nothing else, if your house burns down, this could be enough for the insurance to not pay out...

Recent Posts