Aquarium Safe Rock

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Gerrit, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Gerrit

Gerrit

Hi All.

I'm in the process of changing my one tank and would want to use some rocks as i am living on a farm i thought i could collect some in the woods. My question is does anybody know what rocks are safe to use in aquariums or maybe a list of suitable rocks that doesn't affect the ph of the water??:wondering:

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2. Guest

3. TomK

TomK

Gerrit, do a search on the forum for 'vinegar test' or rocks or stoneage.

Come show us pics of your stones collected.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  4. Gert Combrink

Gert Combrink

@Gerrit, I once stayed in Lichtenburg, close to you, and also used a lot of natural stone from the surrounding area. Put some vinigar on selected stones - if it fizz or bubble, it is not suitable for a normal (PH7) community aquarium, but could possibly be used in a Malawi or Tanganjika tank. Brits has got a lot of marble and other nice dark stone, that could be used in a tank.
    Be carefull of lime or "Koffie-klip"
    Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. OP
    Gerrit

Gerrit

Hi Tom.K and Gert Combrink thank you for the reply on my question. I collected 2 stones for a preview and that would be the specimens i will be using.

Question what type of vinegar do i use and how long should i keep the vinegar on the rocks to see a result, i used Spirit Vinegar, Grape Cider Vinegar and White Grape Vinegar and let it soak on the rock for about 2 minutes with no result (no bubbles or foam)?

In picture 1 the rock on the right has still a bit of vinegar on it for about 15min and still nothing. What kind of rock is it???

Thank You

Stones1.jpg Stones2.jpg

Stones2.jpg

Stones1.jpg

6. TomK

TomK

Gerrit, I am no rock expert, but it looks to me like common 'ysterklip'.

@Gert Combrink
    I deduct from this link that you have some petrified wood. How does it influence your water?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts