Any ideas on what this could be?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by AmithS, Aug 7, 2018.

1. AmithS

AmithS

Got 4 Dwarf Gouramis from a guy about 3 months ago.

This is the 2nd one that I've lost exactly the same way about a month apart.

Fish is completely fine, with no warning find them lying on the floor almost past on.

Only noticeable things is the loss in colour and the slight longish bump on the back just before the tail section.

Any ideas?

Picture in breeder box...
    20180807_201636.jpg

2. Guest

3. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I have suspicions - as many commercially produced gouramis are prone to bacterial infections due to antibiotic abuse on the farms - but let's not jump to conclusions. Especially since you said you got them from a guy, and not a somewhere which would source their stock from farms or commercial breeders.

Would you happen to have any parameters of the tank? Have any of them changed recently? What other changes have occurred in the tank? Do these fish have other tankmates, and how are they doing? Any other commentary on the behaviour of your gouramis?

The longish bump you see is not in the organs, as the bulk of the organs lie above the anterior part of the anal fin. Do the fish all share this symptom? And does the "bump" present on both sides?

4. OP
    AmithS

AmithS

Will reply with abit more detail later. Have about 40 fish in the tank, 5 different species. Only these are affected. Could be a farm issue as the guy i refer to is not a breeder. Sure he got it from a lfs...

5. Little Nicky

Little Nicky

I had the same issue, same fish.

As @SalmonAfrica pointed out, probably a bacterial problem. They probably got stresses some how (possibly by the other fish) and due to their lowered immunity they were the only ones affected.

AmithS and SalmonAfrica like this.

Recent Posts