Another cycling thread, about using the 'products'

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by marlon, Dec 17, 2013.

1. marlon

marlon

Hello everyone

I can only assume that fish forum regulars are fed up with "cycling" threads, but this one is simply a result of just not being able to target my exact query on google.

The Intro:
    Firstly, I care for all things in the tank, plants, fish and bacteria. And I am new to it all, and so is the tank.
    Secondly, I have no fish in there, just some 8.5ph water, some decor, and a few plants.

The query:
    I bought my setup from a very reputable, knowledgeable shop. And when I got everything, they took a lot of time to tell me not to get fish. Happy about that, I asked what I should do.
    They sold me seachem prime and stability, with some directions about the daily dose, for 5 & 10 days, before adding fish.

The past weekend, I went to another reputable shop, in the bergvliet area, and the nice guy assisted me greatly. I asked him again, about how to do it, since I was not sure. He too told me, Seachem prime and stability, so many capfuls for so many days.

Nowhere, can I find an answer to the question: "Do I still need ammonia doses, if I use these two products?".

I have as much time as it takes to do it right, and I want to know I am doing it right, but it is not several days later, and all I am seeing on my tests (and recently acquired in-tank alert tabs) is 0.0 ammonia, and negative results for nitrite and nitrate.

So I am not sure how to do this.
    Shall I continue the daily doses of prime and stability?
    When can I expect any readings? and should i think about adding ammonia?

Or:
    Am I supposed to add fish soon, and then take it from there with meticulous monitoring, and make sure the ammonia produced by the livestock, will not spike out, while continuing to use stability for a while?

I am confused, and lost between then 6900 opinions between 3 shops and a few blogs.

Please help :)

2. Guest

3. hviviers75

hviviers75

Okay you need a source of food for the bacteria to multiply, sprinkle some fish flakes in the water every 2nd day take a 2-3 flakes and crumble it up into small pieces.

You dont need to add the prime every day, just add the stability for a few days. also increase your aeration as this also helps the bacteria to start growing.

Dont add any fish until the cycling process has been completed.

Innocent159 likes this.
  4. zaqwsx15

zaqwsx15

Tetra Safestart

pour bottle in tank and let it get into filter media/cannister then fish in 2 days later, done.

I've started 5 separate tanks with Safestart and no Crashes or deaths

i really believe in that product.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  5. Willem

Willem High fin Pangasius

If you start with stability stay with stability, please don't change both are good but stay with one

6. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

So I didn't want to start a whole thread about this, so I'm gonna ask here..
    Does anyone know exactly what kinds of bacteria are found in a healthy, well cycled tank? I've tried to google what "ingredients" are in stability, and all they say is aerobic, anaerobic and facultative bacteria, but does anyone know specifically what kinds of bacteria they are?

7. A new day

A new day

I’m not sure that it’s the level of detail that you’re looking for, but when it comes to the nitrogen cycle they usually talk about nitrosomas and nitrobactor species (both are groups of species that perform a specific function). The one group converts ammonia into nitrites, and the other group converts nitrites into nitrates.

@Figeth or @Hendre might know specific species names. Someone else?

The specific species in Stability might be a trade secret?

This video is a bit more in depth than usual

But there are also other bacteria that perform beneficial functions apart from nitrification, just don’t know much about them.

Interesting topic, I’d also be interesting in more detail.

Edit: link to Aquapros playlist on water science videos, I haven’t watched them all but I like the way he explains things
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmyz3rvn32qoGL4N_SjFiMVfPaEex0ISW

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    T. Guppy likes this.
  8. A new day

A new day

T. Guppy likes this.
  9. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

There will be a huge range of bacteria, but these start products contain nitrifying bacteria for the most part, held dormant in a low pH solution. I just add stabilityfor 2-3 days before fish and keep a close eye, never had issues there.

Figeth, T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  10. rsa

rsa

Honestly I think this is a subject that’s being over complicated. As @hviviers75 said , sprinkle a bit of fish food and wait 10 odd days . Put 1 fish in , if it survives then you all good . The rest is marketing.

Innocent159 likes this.
  11. Innocent159

Innocent159

I have been cycling with fish food since the second time i set up a tank.

First time i used microbe-lift special blend was 30 odd rand at the petshop by Fairbridge mall

12. fux940510

fux940510

I've been using Scape Bac-Up, along with fish food and plants. Plants are a bit of a cheat for setting up a cycle, as they consume nitrogen at all stages of the cycle (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). As soon as the plants look like they've settled in and are growing nicely, i usually start adding livestock

rsa likes this.
  13. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I use stability to cycle
    Add 1 or 2 fish on day 2 and then 1 or 2 dependong on size of tank every second day
    Never had problem
    Also test water daily

14. A new day

A new day

Sure, not necessary to know that level of detail but I got the impression that @T. Guppy is interested in in from a more academic point of view (related to her studies)? I’m also interested- lockdown you know ;)

Personally Stability for a week works well for me, and even better is to use already cycled biomedia in conjunction. That way one can add some (not all) of the fish from the get go, in particular hardy species.

MariaS, Innocent159 and rsa like this.
  15. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Thanks everyone!
    @A new day that article and video were both interesting and helpful, thanks!
    The reason for my curiosity is related to my studies, I'm busy at the moment with the nitrogen cycle from a catabolic point of view (the subject is microbial physiology) it just got me wondering about what's in our tanks. Especially seeing as I'm in the process of cycling my smaller tank.
    Thanks everyone for your input!

MariaS and A new day like this.
  16. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I believe the actual bacteria are Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter

A new day and T. Guppy like this.
  17. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Thanks @Reedfish. Those 2 are named in my textbook as the 2 main genera of bacteria involved in the nitrification process. I've also emailed my lecturer about what species are found and I''l put his response here for all of you that are interested.

This article also indicates many other kinds of organisms that can be found in the water which is interesting

Reedfish and A new day like this.
  18. A new day

A new day

It’s about aquaponics but 99% is applicable to planted tanks. It gave me a nice overview and I learned something but @T. Guppy once again not the level of detail you’re looking for.

T. Guppy likes this.
  19. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Yup, I have started dozens of tanks like that. Never had any issues.

MariaS and A new day like this.
  20. A new day

A new day

T. Guppy likes this.
  21. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

I see they're using the one species of nitrosomonas (the N eutropha) to treat migraines

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts