Another 4ft tank stand

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by Tronix69, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Tronix69

Tronix69 Active Member

i built another tank stand for a mate of mine last week. its similar to my previous stand but with some improvements.
    Jarred 01.JPG
    The 3D design.
    IMG_0487.JPG
    The stand before sanding and varnish.
    IMG_0501.JPG
    This is the tank as it is now. the side panels and back shelf were left out for now from the inital 3D design as he was in a hurry to get his tanks up and running but will likely add them at the end of the year.

cft likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Pezulu

Pezulu Active Member

That looks great.

4. OP
    Tronix69

Tronix69 Active Member

Thanx Pezulu:)

5. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Looks amazing!

Mind me asking what the total project cost you? Looking to do something similar, but I honestly every time I look at wood I change my mind.

6. OP
    Tronix69

Tronix69 Active Member

the wood used there was R416. then you have stuff like wood glue and screws wich comes to around R100 and your varnish which im not sure as i had some lying around that was used. so as it stands there probably just under R700 including varnish. more wood was bought initially though as there were a few things that will be added later. if you'd like more detil on what was used and cut lists just shout and i could send them to you.

7. ArchMule78

ArchMule78 Active Member

Amazing stand!!

Mind if i ask what wood you used? 2x4 or 2x8?

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

8. OP
    Tronix69

Tronix69 Active Member

I used 114x38 SA Pine. pretty solid stuff.

9. ArchMule78

ArchMule78 Active Member

Can I please have more detail!! I like the idea, but what about the lights for the bottom tank?

My idea for this is to ise the support braces for the top tank!!

10. OP
    Tronix69

Tronix69 Active Member

if you PM me your email address i can email the cut list and detail drawing to you.

lighting is pretty easy depending on what you would like to achieve. you can get LED strips for a chinese shop and screw it to the top tank brace. or you could get something that sits directly on top of your tank which works nicely to focus light directly into the tank. the great thing about doing this all DIY is you do have the ability to plan for alot of this and incorperate it into the design.

11. ArchMule78

ArchMule78 Active Member

A bit of topic, sorry OP, anybody know of places around Centurion that sells and cuts wood to size?

12. OP
    Tronix69

Tronix69 Active Member

@ArchMule78 have you had a look at builders warehouse. their wood actually worked out cheaper for me than cashbuild and those places. and im sure they have the facility to cut to size. just not sure how much they will charge per cut. their new online facility is pretty awesome as well

13. ArchMule78

ArchMule78 Active Member

Will do, thanks!!

14. Drab808

Drab808 Active Member

my stand at the start of this year and got my wood from builders in Kempton. Could've cut it myself but they have a machine to do it and they didn't charge me to cut so maybe see if there is a builders near you

Tronix69 likes this.
  15. f-fish

f-fish Well Known Member

Nice what is with the bar counter in the pic, why did it not make it to the stand.

I like the idea of the little shelf .. I always keep dumping stuff on my glass tops - hence they are all 6mm these days.

Later Ferdie

16. OP
    Tronix69

Tronix69 Active Member

It's actually ment to go at the back. Basically a space to put the canister filter on so you don't have so much travel on the pipes.

But the guy who i built it for needed it sooner than he expected because his boss needed it in the office before a furniture reshuffle so he took it with out it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I was about to say - the shelf did seem like a handy idea, but my immediate thought was that it might get in the way. I've had options in the past on having some extra space in front of the tank to put things on, which is pretty handy. But once you start working with larger tanks, you're going to want to be able to get as close as possible to the tank to reach inside the tank effectively. However the 'back shelf' idea for equipment is brilliant!

It's a pretty good and solid looking build, though. What size is that tank? My guess is 4ft? Would the design (and cost) significantly increase for larger builds? I'd imagine that there's a 'hard limit' on what can feasibly be supported by wooden structures. Or is that not the case? I'm not much of a carpenter.

Regards,

18. OP
    Tronix69

Tronix69 Active Member

on my current tanks i have a smaller shelf type thing that on the front that works very well actually.

the tanks on that stand are both 4ft tanks yes. you can actually build a wooden stand for much bigger tanks. your design does change a little though to give it the extra support but your cost will likely double as you'd be using quite a bit more wood. and dont think id be willing to risk making a double tank setup like the one above. but still wouldn't work out that bad if you had to compare it to a store bought stand. your biggest issue with building a stand for a larger tank is it needs to be 100% level otherwise you put strain on the tank itself which leads to them breaking.

19. zm1611

zm1611 Member

Nice.

20. OP
    Tronix69

Tronix69 Active Member

forgot to mention the owner of the stand is @BEARZ. my bad:confused:

Recent Posts