Angelfish - wish me luck

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by veegal, Apr 8, 2009.

1. veegal

veegal

I came home yesterday to find that my Angels had laid some more eggs:p I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and leave the eggs with them to raise. I had a small tank ready 'just in case' I had to remove the eggs and artificially hatch them.

All night they looked after the eggs and this morning I caught the female eating her eggs again. I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice so I removed the eggs and will attempt to artificially hatch them.

The previous times she laid eggs I saw her removing the unfertilised eggs, which is great, but then by the time I looked again she had eaten all the eggs! So I decided this time that I'd save at least some of the eggs if I caught her doing it again. With the next spawn I'll let them try again, but at least I should have some babies to carry on their genes.

So wish me luck! I've never artificially hatched Angel eggs before so I'll ned all the luck I can get!

2. Guest

3. Foxy Smurf

Foxy Smurf Foxy

I'll keep fingers and toes crossed for you.

I got my friends camera here today. Ill be snapping my babies that was hiding last night.

4. Henk Hugo

Henk Hugo

You need to add an airstone under the eggs to add current to them. Normally the adults fan them....

5. OP
    veegal

veegal

Thanks Henk.

What I did is made sure that the 'egg tanks' water was exactly the same temp as the breeding tanks. I added a heater to maintain the temp, added an airstone which is set at a moderate setting and fans just in front of the eggs but no air bubbles touch any of the eggs. Just to be sure, I added some Anti-fungal medication to try and keep any possible fungus at bay. Tonight I'll remove any of the remaining unfertilised eggs with an eye dropper perhaps as I didn't have the time this morning to do it. Any suggestions for anything which may work better to remove the unfertilised eggs???

6. TyroneGenade

TyroneGenade Mad Scientist

Next time leave the eggs in with the parents. They will eat the first few spawns as they learn. Add some dither fish to keep them occupied. This also stimulates them to PROTECT the eggs rather than eat them.

Once the eggs hatch, syphon off some of the fry.

Regards

7. Henk Hugo

Henk Hugo

I think it was Dirk or Andre that told me about the parenting gene being bred out of these mass farmed fish that comes in from asia... hence the repeated egg eating.....

8. TyroneGenade

TyroneGenade Mad Scientist

I've had trouble with angels parenting their eggs in the past but after a few spawns they get with the programn. I tend to beleive it is learned behavior rather than geneticly hardwired. Adding dither fish definately tends to get the parents focused on protecting their eggs.

9. G55C

G55C

If I could add my 2 cents here:bigsmile: Im no expert with Angels but I know their breeding habits or "parenting" are very similiar to Discus.

Some people suggest letting them breed in a community tank two or three times before moving them to a separate aquarium. This is suppossed to encourage their instinctive parenting behavior, as they will have to protect their eggs from being eaten by other tank mates. I found it worked when my Discus first started spawning.

As for artificially raising fry, well I'm holding thumbs for u:bigsmile:. really hope u have some success! I've also started trying to raise my Discus fry artificially and havent succeded yet. So I"m watching your thread with interest.

Good Luck:top:

10. OP
    veegal

veegal

Tyrone:- That sounds like an idea to try. They've been laying eggs on average every 8 days or so now. If they do lay more eggs next week I'll try your suggestion of putting another fish in the tank with them. I really would like them to raise their own babies. :)

Henk:- I've heard and read the same thing but there seems to be a definite split in opinions on this one....I guess sometimes you 'get lucky' and they raise their own fry :)

G55C:- Thanks for the good luck - I need as much as I can get!

Well so far so good. It's been about 28hours now since the eggs were laid - no sign of fungus....I did a small water change on the hatchery tank ensuring that the temp of the new water was exactly the same as that in the tank and also making sure that the eggs remained under water. I'll do another water change tomorrow night in the same manner.

Tick tock tick tock....I guess it's the waiting game now :))

11. Zafgak

Zafgak Old fart

Good Luck

Best of luck with the spawn - I can see MORE tanks are needed :idea:

12. OP
    veegal

veegal

Aggg no!!! :mad: I got home from work and I got fungus! Well not me - the angelfish eggs :blink1: It's not on all of them but it's brown (could be 'cause of the anti-fungal medication I used which has a brown colour). What's the chances of the other eggs hatching and is there anything I can do to stop the fungus spreading to the remaining 'good' eggs??? :dontknow:

13. OP
    veegal

veegal

Eish, the eggs were all consumed by fungus! :(

Next time I'll definately leave it up to Mother Nature and let the parents try until they get the hang of things.

14. solex69

solex69

Sorry to hear about. If I'm not mistaken, I think Gert managed to hatch angel eggs artificially at one stage...not too sure though, but we can ask him tomorrow

Chiao
    D

15. Gert Combrink

Gert Combrink

Not to difficult!
    Use same water from main tank in small hatching tank - add methylene blue!
    put airstone close by for water movement without air touching eggs.
    turn heater up to 28/29 Deg.
    When wrigglers are moving around - start brian shrimp hatchery!
    feed bs when fry are freeswimming. Small tank make it easy to clean and keep bs close to fry.
    just my qt... - quick tips!
    Gert.

Recent Posts