AIR COMPRESSOR REQUIREMENT ADVICE

Discussion in 'General Equipment discussion' started by HANNO, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:18 AM.

1. HANNO

HANNO

Hi guys, I'm new to TASA- although I've been on the forums a bunch of times to learn.

I'm setting up a fish room which will eventually house 15x 150L aquariums. The dimensions are 900mm(L) x 400mm(W) x 450mm(H). They will be set up on a rack system (3 tanks stacked vertically per rack). All of the tanks will be filtered with sponge filters- one large sponge filter per tank. I want to plumb the air system with 1" PVC going around all of the tanks (fitted onto the rack frame) with standard 4mm tubing going down from the PVC to the sponge filters.

Basically all I want to find out is what size air compressor will I need to run all of the tanks listed above.

Any and all advice herein will be greatly appreciated.

2. Guest

3. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

Hi I use 70l/min for 40 - 50 tanks combination of undergravel/sponge and air stone in each

4. top dog

top dog

good question
    i do not have a answer but my line of thinking would be:
    ideally i want 6 to 10 turn overs per hour threw a filter, thus i would put 6 - 10 times the volume of the tank of air threw each filter
    6x150=900ltr of air per hour per tank
    based on this i would look for a 13500ltr a hour or 225ltr per minute pump

would try google what a 1ltr of air flow equals in water movement and base the calculation off that figure.
    hope that helps

5. OP
    HANNO

HANNO

Thanks guys. Online they recommend 0.033L/min air per Gallon of water. This seems a bit conservative in my opinion. But since I've never tried running this amount of equipment on a single compressor, my opinion isn't really an educated one.

Recent Posts