Advise needed on moving a big tank

Discussion in 'Advanced Topics' started by Ortaega, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Whoknows

Whoknows

I've also been going there a few years. Sold fish back to them too.

There's a few things I wish where different but on the whole I like that shop:thumbup:

Ortaega likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Whoknows

Whoknows

Another option is to rent yourself a bakkie from a car rental like avis to tow that trailer

Ortaega likes this.
  4. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Ortaega

Also, maybe a moving company may be able to help?
    Or a haulier ?

5. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Most are a bit afraid to do this move the moment I explain to them where it needs to come out. The rest ask from around R4500 +. This includes Wazeers and quite a few different Petshops I've chatted to thus far. Also doing this over a weekend for them is a no-no because most off them want "all hand on deck" over a weekend at the store.

To add n SARS owes me a bit of money as well and they are taking their time on this. Out of the money they owe me I should be able to pay for the move and put down a partial payment on the setup.

The tank once we can get it out through the front door will be impossible to get off the porch as we need to take off the side burglar proofing that then drops off at +/- 3 - 4ft towards the front lawn area, turn and then maneuvered onto whatever is needed to transport it on. Think this is the most difficult part of it.

So busy making plans so that I can pay for the move and still do a partial payment so long. That's why not in such a hurry setting this up, more worried now to move it, pay my dues, and then I will start fresh with this setup after taking my time cleaning and testing the tank out to ensure there are no leaks.

Bought a puppy rottweiler also at a very good price a week before I found out about all of this, else I would've had some money to fall back on with this.

Also, being an office jockey doesn't help allot in my favor doing this. :confused: Moved into our new place about 3 months back and being a first-time homeowner I started realizing how much needs doing and in most cases, I'm learning to do the things rather than getting someone out as this can also be quite an expensive part of life.o_O My previous landlord was one of those that sorted out anything in a flash so never really had to do much in that sense as well. So got spoiled rotten in that sense.

Allot happening at the moment lol. Also postponed getting a new tank because we knew It would've been a challenge moving a big aquarium one day and always thought that if I did purchase this size aquarium the store would've helped to sort this. Never thought I would have to do this one day. This also was such a good deal my aunt offered me I would be crazy to let it pass by, but now I'm starting to realize a lot of things I didn't in the past.

Topdog also sent me a PM to see if he can help me out if possible, will see what happens. Gonna take it on faith. If it is meant to be all will work out if not, it is what it is and I will start from scratch, but will just take some more time.

So yeah quite allot written here, but a bit more on the subject. :)

On a positive note still happy to see so many people on the forum I still remember from when I was still more active on the forum. Saw some very interesting setups when I was checking in every few months. Wanting to get back into the hobby again for some time now. Want to force some me time again and get lost in my aquarium(s) again like in the past. had some of the most relaxed moments working on my aquariums or just spending time endlessly looking at them in the past.

6. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Photos I did take but did not realize at that moment that it wasn't very clear. The way my uncle had the tank setup is with to side internal sumps on each side. Allot of reflection and glare in the back. In the one reflection can also see the porch and that is where we will first have to remove the burglar proofing. The way the sumps are positioned also created quite good flow in the tank itself.

IMG_20200906_125043.jpg IMG_20200906_125045.jpg IMG_20200906_125048.jpg

T. Guppy and Whoknows like this.
  7. mxz

mxz

This is a beast of a tank.

Have you considered breaking the tank down, moving, and then reassembling? A tank builder could probably assist but not sure if that's a cheaper option.

Ortaega likes this.
  8. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

It is an option but also has risks and costs involved. It is also going to be a mission because of the internal bracing and sumps that should also be taken apart. Then again I'm an office jockey and haven't yet done a build/rebuild of a tank. Normally left it to the experts.

Whoknows likes this.
  9. Whoknows

Whoknows

Very nice tank. Hope you get it moved safely.

Ortaega likes this.
  10. Gavin the Babrabrian

Gavin the Babrabrian

@Ortaega congrats on such a big tank!!!! glass or acrylic? where is the tank and where are you planning on moving it to?

11. Gavin the Babrabrian

Gavin the Babrabrian

sorry pics loaded late, see its a glass tank. Yeah it is going to be heavy. I moved my 3m glass tank with 8 men and it was the heaviest thing in my life i have moved!!!! lol

12. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

From JHB South to Minnebron, Brakpan. Waiting for places to get back to me.

Yeah tank is insane, just sorting out a bit of work, but hoping to get it moved over this weekend else the next if not possible this week, making it difficult is the time my aunt is available.

Whoknows likes this.
  13. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

So today if all goes as planned is tank moving day

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

14. Gavin the Babrabrian

Gavin the Babrabrian

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Whoknows

Whoknows

Good luck

16. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

The move went quite well, now just need to clean, fill up, and cycle the tank. Want to see if can get some substrate from LFS tomorrow or next weekend and then start to shop around for some Frontosa and cuckoo catfishes.

Got allot of food and conditioners and rocks with the tank as well, but got to work through all of this now as well.

Thanks, @Topdog & @Whoknows for help, contacts, and help with preparing me for this move!

Don't think it will ever move again! Just need to remember to take picks as I can continue and will then keep you all up to date on how this evolves!
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-12 at 15.01.42.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-12 at 15.07.02.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-12 at 15.13.09.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-12 at 18.34.54.jpeg

JPB, top dog, T. Guppy and 6 others like this.
  17. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

When I started I had a rule - only have tanks that you can move yourself .... today I doubt I will be able to move a 4ft by myself so yeah. Great job for taking the responsibility for keeping this massive tank in the hobby.

As usual, a trio of guppies is all that is needed ;-)

Later Ferdie

Bufamotis and Ortaega like this.
  18. OP
    Ortaega

Ortaega

Hahaha, good idea they can take over the tank

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

19. Whoknows

Whoknows

Congratulations :thumbup: you don't realise how big a tank is until someone gets into it or stands in front of it.

Ortaega and A new day like this.
  20. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Ortaega

At least the move is now done
    It will be worth all the stress you had

Enjoy putting it all together.

Whoknows, Ortaega and A new day like this.
  21. Gavin the Babrabrian

Gavin the Babrabrian

Congrats man!!! Glad all went well. Now lets see it evolve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts