advice on rummy nose tetra's

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by neilgouws, Oct 16, 2013.

1. neilgouws

neilgouws

I am looking at getting a group of 15 rummy nose tetras. I am just wondering how easy they will be to keep and what are your guys experiences on keeping them? I am in cape town is the tap water here good enough for them?

2. Guest

3. Sean J

Sean J

What size tank will you be keeping them in?

Rummies are a great addition to planted systems. They're like canaries. If their noses aren't red, then there is a problem in your aquarium. They are excellent schooling fish and they are quite hardy. Great fish!

4. OP
    neilgouws

neilgouws

Sorry @Sean J forgot to put my tank size in the post, it will be a 3ft planted tank with cardinals and pygmy corydoras.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. jpvd007

jpvd007 Retired Moderator

I have had my 10 rummy noses now for 5 months in a 100l tank with 4 cardinals and all seem to be getting along quite fine. I run on 100% RO so I can not comment on the water conditions but I would presume they would like the same conditions as your cardinals and like @Sean J said they are very hardy fish. I feed mine on spirolina flacks and they also get the off cuts of kudu heart that my discus don't want, this has made them double in size since I got them. I have found them to be a great addition to my planted tank, give them a go. Here is a google link for you dude. http://finatics.hubpages.com/hub/fish-care-rummy-nose-tetra

Regards

Jason

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. Nirvashen

Nirvashen

i have rummy noses, they are awesome, but it seems that up here in jhb i can't seem to find good quality ones , the last time i bought 10 all of them died within a day of putting them in my quarantine setup, so be very careful and look at the stock you are buying, but once they are established in the tank they will live for long i have my current 6 for about 1.5 years and they are happy as hell in my 3ft.

Recent Posts