54l planted low tech tank

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by necris, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Cale24

Cale24

Yeah, expensive stuff, but their products are quality.
    Look into potassium permanganate and hydrogen peroxide - saves a bunch of money and they're very effective for external issues on fish. Another couple things I wish I'd learnt years ago instead of this of that medication.

As to algae - always tends to show up at the 2-3 month mark in some way while a tank is balancing itself. Stay away from moss and delicate plants until thats under control - I've battled green hair algae the past month and had to rip out a bunch of my moss.
    I cleaned it a bit and chuck all my algae covered plants into a 5l plastic bottle, top 1/4 cut and inverted, filled with tank water and a bunch of ramshorn snails. Was pleased to discover it's like a car wash - the snails have basically revitalised some of it, cleaning all day.
    Hydrocotyle tripartita in particular - fixed and replanted into tanks. Thanks, snails.

I used root tabs with relative success in my gravel 130l tank.

A new day and necris like this.
  2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@necris..... all the Meds for Ich proclaim to be the best... unfortunately they not really and often do not work at all in stubborn cases and often the Meds lands up killing sensitive fish before the Ich does

Salt is the most trustworthy to get rid of the Ich and I use normal table salt
    Have done so for years with no problems
    You would need to add bags and bags of table salt or pickle your fish before the amount of Iodine was enough to harm the fish

As for UV Sterilizers... its worth every cent
    We run them in all our tanks with no ill effects for at least 6 years and not an Ich outbreak or algae bloom
    you can connect it in line on the pipe that returns water from the canister to the tank

necris likes this.
  4. Saibot

Saibot

Such a star. Been looking for this answer

necris and MariaS like this.
  5. OP
    necris

necris

i will check out the potassium permanganate etc
    Algae is ahead of schedule in that case, tanks about a month old now,spot on btw, moss is gathering algae like a sponge, regret adding it
    front to back i have cobra grass, crypts, hygrophila corymbosa, egeria densa and amazon swords, nothing too heavy feeding (hygrophila was an impulse buy)
    will certainly look into snails once the ich cycle has completed, didnt want to risk adding anything at the moment, really like apple snails but i understand they dont mix well with planted tanks.

Thanks Maria,Salt does appear to be the front runner, I have read the majority of the ich /white spot and uv threads and it makes a repeat appearance.
    My concern was for the plants in my main tank, i wasn't sure if they would survive the salinity.
    planted tank was emptied of hardscape, gravel vacced, 3kgs of fresh gravel added, refilled and temp was crsanked up to 30, has been there since. do you think salt would be worth adding at this stage, i have only used ich treatments in the bare 40l tank to stop the cycle from taking hold there while clearing the main tank.

6. A new day

A new day

Yes my 180L has aquasoil at the back (behind the rock bank) and pfs in front. I reckon my next tank will also have aquasoil ‘islands’ or banks and the back and pfs in front. Not only is it cheaper, but I actually prefer the look of sand to aquasoil in the foreground. But that’s totally a personal preferance thing.

An alternative to gravel vaccing that I’m experimenting with is to keep the filter running while stirring the pfs well with a wooden chopstick / sosatie skewer. Then I clean the filter an hour or two later. I have a big wack of filter floss that captures most of the fine particles, works like a charm.

I’ve basically stopped doing gravel vacs anyway as I don’t see any visable gunk on the surface (snails and shrimp eat it, and I have a lot of other bottom feeders) and didn’t see much coming out when doing gravel vacs on the pfs. The stirring method seems more effective to me in the deep sand bed and it’s a lot easier too. Plan on doing it about once a month.

MariaS, necris and Cale24 like this.
  7. A new day

A new day

Agree 100% on the snails, I couldn’t do without them! I recommend the following combo for a planted tank:
    - nerite snails (only 1 for your small tank). Awesome and won’t breed in freshwater
    - ramshorns. Yes they need manual population control every now and again, but man are they effective. I actively want them in my tanks.
    - malaysian trumpet snails burrow in under the substrate, eating gunk there and churning over the substrate much like earthworms do.

T. Guppy, necris and Cale24 like this.
  8. Cale24

Cale24

I got a couple trumpets but never see them! Ramshorns multiply like crazy, so I just remove some of them now and again and into the 'plant-wash' tub they go. I wish I could get hold of some of the cooler colour ones. May get a nerite or two when I see them (or order online).
    I also dump in all sorts of offcuts and its great to have a bunch of new stems just pop out the sides, ready for planting. Since I discovered the huge duckweed in a tub of organic soil on my balcony, I've started throwing other bits in there to see what happens.

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  9. A new day

A new day

Such a cool idea! Almost like Rachel o’Leary’s amano shrimp tank - she sometimes puts algae-ridden plants or hardscape from other tanks in there for a couple of days like a car wash :)

The trumpets spend most of the day eating below the surface and come out at night. They also multiply fast but we don’t see most of them so they’re usually not a nuisance.

I think the ramshorns are quite pretty actually! The easiest way for me to catch some and thin the population is with a piece of cucumber on a fork. I have had issues with baby ramshorns (and duckweed) floating into the filter intake and basically decomposing and releasing nitrogen on the filter, that’s why I added the wack of filter floss and rinse it out about once a week.

Cale24 and necris like this.
  10. OP
    necris

necris

the snail trio sounds like a winner, have a lone ramshorn in the hospital tank, seems to be powering through the ich treatment. crazy little bastard climbed down the airhose to the sponge filter last night, must have felt like 240kph.
    i had plenty trumpet snails growing on my ornamental pepper deep water culture tub outside, wont be moving them across though..
    im seriously considering popping a 160l tub i have in the garage outside and bunging my offcuts and a sponge filter in, see how long it takes before its noticed..by that time the mozzies will have set in and the only real solution would just logically be adding fish

Cale24 and A new day like this.
  11. A new day

A new day

Yep the nerite will cost you around R60 but man is it worth it! Look at the cool varieties eg tiger, racing car, horned, zebra.
    White Cloud Mountain minnows eat mosquito larvae and I’m very happy with them in my pond!

12. Cale24

Cale24

Nice - I don't actually follow her channel but have seen some vids - will look a bit more.
    Wondering if trumpets are a problem for aquasoil - do they turn it to mush? I saw some when I got the Amanos and figured worth a try. I've read of 'false Amanos' and I hope the ones I got were legit.
    Still yet to see them so hope they're around :/
    Filter floss is great yeah, and for help cycling new tanks as needed. Will try your cucumber trick!

A new day likes this.
  13. A new day

A new day

Aquasoil will eventually turn into mush in any case, will take a couple of years though. From the research I’ve done, the trumpets don’t actually eat the soil like earthworms do. Could be wrong, but seems like they offer many benefits including combatting soil compaction.

14. Cale24

Cale24

Cool, thanks. I know it breaks down eventually but hope the trumpets don't accelerate that too much if at all...

necris and A new day like this.
  15. A new day

A new day

Rachel O’Leary is extremely knowledgeable and prolific on YouTube. Species spotlights (especially nano/small fish and invertebrates), planted tanks, ecosystems, DIY on her fishroom, summer tubbing, breeding etc.

Cale24 likes this.
  16. OP
    necris

necris

love her livestock, the breeding pools are amazing...but sadly i cant make it through a video, her voice just grinds me

17. OP
    necris

necris

Sadly, I woke up this morning to a tank less 1 awesome pleco. No idea as to cause.. He was rigid and wedged behind the heater.

Farewell Trevor, you were a legend.
    Have had a dodgy feeling about that 50w heater since day 1, switches off at 24 when set to 28! I wonder if it isn't possibly a temp spike. He was entirely unnafected by ich and no one else looks sickly at all.
    Routine has been the same. 80% water change every evening with vac before medicating, dosed prime and stability on mixing. No major scrubbing of glass etc.

Day 4 of 31c in display tank. Pretty sure I have nuked anything in the water column by now. Still seeing signs on barbs in hospital tank sadly.
    Rts taking a beating. Colours are dull and tail is opaque. Don't know how much more of this I can subject them to. I'm supposed to be helping

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk

18. Reafer

Reafer

Sorry to hear bud , nothing worse than loosing a finned friend and not knowing why. With regards to the heater that's normal on cheaper heaters , On the ehiem you can calibrate it. What the heater says and actual temp is normally different

necris likes this.
  19. Cale24

Cale24

Sucks man, sorry you lost him. I've found a lot of discrepancies in even thermometers. There is a thread somewhere on TASA comparing them and they really can vary and give false readings.
    I use my TDS pen's temp sensor to check if something seems amiss.
    Is the RTS covered in ich? If not, then dial back the temp gradually over a few hours back to normal. Like you say, that temperature can't be sustained too long.
    Salt or meds should be sorting it out? Large daily water changes add a different sort of stress, so I'd ease those to 50% maybe?

I'd have expected noticeable improvement and reduction in white spots by now?

necris likes this.
  20. OP
    necris

necris

Only ich visible is on the largest female barb. Minor spots on another one but fading fast. The remainder have cleared up for the most part. Bare in mind this 50w heater hasn't managed to even maintain the temp at 26 in hospital tank. Display tank has been solidly above 30 since Sunday.
    Have yet to see any ich on the rts. He is just losing colour which indicates stress to me, he did lighten up after lights out slightly normally but he's a dull Grey at the moment.
    Will get another digital thermometer when I pick up a new heater today and check my glass suction cup Jobby's accuracy

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Cale24 likes this.
  21. OP
    necris

necris

Morning all.
    new heater installed in hospital tank, temps more consistent.
    also picked up some aquarium salt. the more reading i have done on malachite the less i want it in my household let alone fishtank.
    i have wc'd that crap out, swopped ceramics for carbon and im giving them a day break to acclimatize to the increasing temp. the fish are so much happier, rts has got some colour back and the barbs chased each other around for the forst time since the move. George the pleco seems to be getting lighter in colour, living mostly off leftover flakes and hikari mini algae wafers his poop is a worrying dull grey, poor guy doesnt know a tank with no wood and biofilm anymore.

what would be an appropriate timeline before starting salt treatment.
    Display tank is really taking a knock at those sustained high temps, nematodes having a field day and plants are looking sad, even the egeria densa is showing thinned growth.
    Day 5 at 30'c in an emtpy tank, i reckon im pretty close to a clear tank.
    i noticed my largest female barb swimming pointing nose down last night, now i have seen them do this when resting, but she did appear to be doing it intermittently during normal cruising around.
    will see if i can get some video of it

Recent Posts