54 litre tank filtration help

Discussion in 'Filtration' started by Garfield, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Garfield

Garfield

Hi

We need some solid advice, We have a 54 litre tank (60cm x 30cm x 30cm) and we need some filtration advice.

Currently we have a Boyu 150 Litre per hour filter in our tank but it has been acting up lately so we are looking at a replacement filter.

We heard for goldfish it is reccomended to have a filter that has a flow of 10x the capacity of the tank.
    Given this information we found the AquaClear 30 Power Filter 567 litre per hour HOB filter.

Would this filter be adequate or overkill ?

What filter would you guys reccomend because the woman at our pet store said this filter would be too strong for our 4 goldfish in a 54 litre tank.
    We do plan on adding more fish later if that makes a difference.

Thanks
    Nathan & Melissa

2. Guest

3. Ryno

Ryno Kenaal baber

these filters doesnt make a strong current and you can ajust the flow :) i use these filters and would recommend them for any small tank :)

4. OP
    Garfield

Garfield

So our goldfish won't die like our pet store owner dictated to us ?

5. Wyvren

Wyvren Retired Moderator

@Garfield I have that same filter in my 70L tank and my brother used it in his 60L. It is a lovely filter and it's flow is not strong at all - I have a Betta in my tank and he loves the waterfall effect. Just grab some Seachem Matrix - a small packet will be more than enough and add that to the HOB instead of just the sponge an charcoal they sell it with. I removed the charcoal in mine after 2 weeks and just added an extra sponge. Or you can add Purigen to help polish your water.

The only problems I see with your goldfish is the fact that 4 might be to much for the small tank - as far as I know they each need 20 - 30L each since they are messy fish. I used to keep some in a smaller tank until I was taught and I did some proper research.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  6. OP
    Garfield

Garfield

Thank you, Well I think I will definitely go for that filter then, I like the waterfall effect myself,

Where are those filters sold ? I cannot seem to find any for sale.

I will definitely bare in mind the goldfish situation, Would I be able to add smaller fish into the tank or would that pose a problem ?

7. Wyvren

Wyvren Retired Moderator

You will have to check with one of the guys, I am never sure how many fish to keep in a tank without overstocking. Also keep in mind that goldfish are cold water fish and not tropical fish so research carefully what other fish can be kept with goldfish.

Please add your location to your profile? Most Fish stores will sell those filters - they are unfortunately not cheap but they are well worth it.

tracyp likes this.
  8. Ryno

Ryno Kenaal baber

Where are you located? My lfs sells all of them.

9. OP
    Garfield

Garfield

I just updated my profile, sorry about that.

Okay great I will ask about overstocking. I do not mind paying more if it is definitely worth it :smile1:

@Ryno, I am based in Polokwane, Limpopo. How much is the AquaClear 30 power filter at your lfs ?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. Ryno

Ryno Kenaal baber

I cany say on top of my head probably in the range of about 300

11. tracyp

tracyp Lotus

NO! quite the opposite. You don't say how big your goldies are or what kind... but that little tank won't be big enough for them for long. Remember that goldies can easily reach 20 cm (and fast if they're well catered for - I've raised fry from egg to solid hand sized fish in a year.)

+1 to Wyvren - solid advise there on filter media mods - most of us have done the same or similar with our filters.

12. OP
    Garfield

Garfield

I just found one at an online store for R585 . . . quite a difference. Will have to definitely look around unless that is the going price.

@tracyp my goldfish are still young, about 3 - 4cm long, 2 of them are comets and the other 2 are fantails.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. Wyvren

Wyvren Retired Moderator

Mine was at least R450 = But for the price you get a good product

14. Ryno

Ryno Kenaal baber

I baught the aquaclear 50 for R550

15. OP
    Garfield

Garfield

Well the pump started working again better as ever, good steady flow, so I decided to just hang on a bit, On the other hand I don't have a population issue anymore, We have one goldfish remaining . . .

I just don't know whats happening, 2 days ago, the orange comet died, 24 hours later the one fantail died, 24 hours later again and the yellow comet died. I am now left with one fantail.

when we saw the orange comet it was just laying on the gravel, it swam across the tank then died, the fantail we found floating and the yellow comet stayed at the top of the tank all day today, looked like it was trying to eat, but it wasn't.

Does anyone know whats could be going wrong ?

All we can think of is that our fantails had White Spot (Ick) and we got medicine from our lfs, we treated them as specified and the Ick went away nicely. 2 days after the last Ick treat our first goldfish died.

I need help please, I do not want to lose our last fantail :(

Recent Posts