3Ft Community/Planted - Pictures and Information

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by Freaksa, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Freaksa

Freaksa Amature Plant"ist"

MY TANK IS COMPLETE!

Inhabitants:
    2 x Kribensis
    1 x Chinese Algae eater
    5 x Harlequins
    6 x Neon’s
    5 x Panda Cory’s
    2 x Pearl Gourami
    X x Guppies from my old Setup

Plants:
    1 - Liliopsis brsiliensis (Dwarf chain sword)
    2 - bocopa
    3 - Vallisenaria
    4 - Anubius Nana (miniture and larger one)
    5 - Alternanthera reinekii
    6 - Amazon sword
    7 - Tropical Hornwort
    8 - Anacharis
    9 - Unidentified plant
    10 - Some Type of sword

Substrate:
    Palm Peat Fibre + Chemicult
    0.7mm Silica sand

Features:
    1 x Rock from a old tank
    1 x Driftwood
    1 x Upside-down pot for my Kribensis to hide in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has any more suggestions and comments please feel free to add them! Hope you like it, now my plants need to grow(Some of the plants were only planted today and most that were planted last week got moved around today again!!

Freaksta

2. Guest

3. KiazerG

KiazerG Sailfin Molly

looking good so far.... once the plants start filling out it'll def come together well.

Any reason on the Chinese Algae Eater, have heard mix things about them?

4. Gaawie

Gaawie Wannabe

:) nice

The Chinese Algae eaters (if we're talking about the same fish here) in my experience tend to get aggressive and obtrusive as they get bigger. Not very nice mannered fish...

5. Steve CT

Steve CT

How do you get pics of your tank onto a posting the way you have done it?

Tank is looking good, will look even better once the plants settle in.

6. OP
    Freaksa

Yea ive read the mixed things about them. At the moment my Kribensis keeps him in his place. The main reason ive got it is becasue when i was still new to the whole fish game i asked for a fish to eat algae and was sold him! I do watch him though, he hasnt done anything harmfull as of yet when he becomes a problem i will find him another home for now he can live with my other fish.

I first upload my image to an external site, such as www.imageshack.us which resizes the image for me.

Then when posting, there is a block that is yellow and grey it looks like mountains (insert image). Its below the undo button, 5th from the left on the 2nd row of buttons. Click on it and copy the direct link to the image into that little box thing and it makes the images appear as they have above. Hope that explains it!

7. Gareth

Gareth Angel Freak

Looks Great I have just finished my tank as well...lol
    bet you can't wait for the plants to grow and take shape.... I know I can't

8. Steve CT

Steve CT

Thanks, will give it a try.

9. Vis

Vis Gerhard

It as looking good, I like it. I might change the grass in the front right corner to some hair grass. I don't
    Like those that intertwine like that, but that's just me.

10. OP
    Freaksa

Yup, especially because im not sure how some of the plants are going to grow, well just the one in the front that looks like grass not sure how high it gets!! And then im still waiting for my Bacopa to form some roots before i plant it into the sand, thats why u see it the only plant in its plastic thingy because it has no roots :(

But yea, busy doing my ferts now and its getting 12hours of light a day(and indirect sunlight) so hoping these things grow grow grow. One positive thing i have noticed is that my Amaranth redroot has actually formed a lot of new roots and its ment to be quite a hard plant to grow from what other people said so im hoping it takes off becuase i love how the read breaks all the green in the tank!

Anyhow off to bed now, early morning 5am :Zzzzz

Yea, unfortunatly its ALL i could find in PE, we are very limmited to what we get, so ill let this stuff grow until i see something nicer. If anyone in pe has some hair grass or something similar, please let me know when you trim it back so i can steal a shoot or two.

Thanks, for all the comments.
    Freaksta

11. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

Freaksa,

Tank looks very good there mate... I'm VERY keen on seeing the growth of this tank with that PFP underneath the gravel. Are you using any chemical fertilizer additive, or just the PFP?

just a few tips: Tha anubias doesn't like it's roots in the ground... well actually it doesn't like it's rhizome in the ground. Take the plant and with an elastic or cotton, it it to a rock or stump... it's a slow grower, but looks stunning when it overtakes the rock!

The purple/red plant that looks like a bamboo in the back right hand side.. keep an eye on it. I had it for a while, and it didn't grow, didn't die... just stayed there, and when I pulled it out the substrate, I noticed the roots had all rotted off. I beleive that plant needs some high light.

Take the other plant out the pot. The fuzzy stuff that the plants come with can be dangerous to the fish if it get's into their gills.

12. slayer

slayer

Tank looks good

13. OP
    Freaksa

I am using added ferts as well, at the moment just a cheap bottle of Aqua Master - Plant food (N P K , 2.6 0 5.0) and it contains trace elements. Will see how it goes because it is rather cheap and i dont have any more money to spend on fish tank items!

Thanks for the tip about the anubias i will give it a go, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, will you post a picture of how it looks on your rock just want to see how it grows on the rock? Currently only the roots are in the ground so the rhizome is out in the open made sure of that!

The purple red plant, i actually planted it last week when i put my peat in and i will say when i moved around some of the plants yesterday the older roots were still around and there where new root shoots that you could see had grown in the past week so im hoping this stuff is succesful with the peat and added ferts with my current lighting setup!

Cool will take out the pot plant only reason it is in the tank is because none of those cuttings have roots yet and they werent doing well in the silica so i put them back into a pot plant so it can form some roots before i replant it!

Just a reminder please try get a pic of the anubias on the rock i would love to see how it looks!

Thanks
    Freaksta

14. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

I recently removed all my anubias from the small rocks they were on, and re-elasticated them to a bigger rock in the hopes that it will overgrow the big rock. Here is a picture of it on the smaller rock. You can see the elastic, but this can eventually be taken off as soon as the roots have anchored themselves to the rock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. OP
    Freaksa

Thanks man, will try and find a spot for mine since mine is in a couple pieces i will leave one or two in the silica and see how they do! Ill leave this for sunday though!

16. OP
    Freaksa

I have just updated my tank a bit!

Added one more sword type plant.
    Added an extra 20watts of light totalling 80watts now! So almost 1watt/litre cuz my tanks max capacity is 100litres empty!

My plant growth is crazy so far! Using some cheap ferts for the moment because im a bit on the low down for money at the moment! But they seem to be doing the job, my jungle val has started shooting in all directions and they shoots already have leafs as big as the plants that are givin off the shoots! Its crazy! Hopefully with my extra light my redroot plants will start to grow, because since i have brought them they have lost a bit of there colour, but again its only been just over a week since they were planted and i dont think there root system is very established!

Will post some updated pics in a couple weeks!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010

Recent Posts