2ft Planted

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by JDV, Aug 14, 2018.

1. hviviers75

hviviers75

Hey JDV, that is good news I told you 99% of fish will tolerate it. Go read up on lake Tanganyika in summer the water in rivers reach 29 degrees maybe 30 somtimes fish are able to adapt to their surroundings for certain periods of time. rather please keep on with this for the full 10 days. on the evening of the 10th day you can slowly turn down the heater so your temp drops down to 24-26 degrees...

2. Guest

3. OP
    JDV

JDV

Hi @hviviers75

yip going to stick with my plan. 32 degrees till Sunday Morning = 4.5 days.
    On Sunday going to start lowering temp to 30 degrees 0.5 degrees per hour and keep at 30 degrees for 7 days

4. hviviers75

hviviers75

Thats good news, you can do this and fish will all be fine, well done :)

JDV likes this.
  5. OP
    JDV

JDV

I must say the fish totally happy swimming eating and everything. Even the Pleco is more active.
    Just worried that the Pleco did not eat its algae wafer last night but that might also be due to the swards
    stealing it.

This is my second encounter with ICH since keeping fish remember back in the day when living at home we had it in one of our thanks and treated it with "King....something" cant remember the name.

Definitely learned something this time round and did a lot of reading on ICH

6. hviviers75

hviviers75

Go read up on the types of fish you keep most fish are happy betwen 24-28 degrees, the extra heat speeds up their metabolism so a bit more active also :)

JDV likes this.
  7. OP
    JDV

JDV

Hi guys

So we are on day 4 all fish are happy and eating.

Quik question all fish are now clean except one swardtail has about 4 spots still left. Should I leave it on 32 degrees for another day or 2? Or start dropping, to 30 degrees?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

8. OP
    JDV

JDV

Day5 one more spot to go. Going to keep temp at 32 degrees for now. Plants seems to take a bit of a beating. Fish seems fine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

9. AmithS

AmithS

Go the full 10 days to ensure it's all cleared out.. nothing worse than having to do the treatment all over again...

MariaS and Innocent159 like this.
  10. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I agree with @AmithS ... Do the full 10 days

If you cut corners you sometimes find that the new ICH is more stubborn and starts getting immune to treatment
    Rather safe than sorry

11. OP
    JDV

JDV

Hi @AmithS / @MariaS

Thanks for the reply's. I think I might have worded my question wrong.
    The plan is to do the full 10 days but the ich is taking longer than expected.

The plan was to go 3-4 days on 32 degrees and then drop to 30 degrees for 6 -7 days.

Now I am on day 6 and still on 32 degrees due to all fish not clean. (Pleco still have ish, Swardtail now clean as of last night)

Questions:

1. Since all the fish are not clean yet should I stay on 32 degrees until all fish are clean?
    2. How long after all fish are clean should I drop to 30 degrees?
    3. How long should I stay on 30 degrees?
    4. Lets say I do the full 10 days on 32 degrees and all fish are clean, do I still do the 30 degrees after that?

Hope this makes sense?

12. hviviers75

hviviers75

hello JDV, yes rather leave it at 32 degrees for the full 10 days I did this in the past and all went very well. you can do the drop on day 10 then day 11 start the drop back slowly to 25 or 26,,,

13. OP
    JDV

JDV

Awesome thanks @hviviers75. I suspect why its taking so long is my temp controller was set to 32 degrees but drops to 31.5 and turns on again. So its does not really stay at 32 very long.
    I changed it Yesterday morning to 32.5 so that it can drop 32 and then back up again. once I did this the Itch fell if the Swardtail with in a hour. Lesson learned.-lol

14. hviviers75

hviviers75

Sounds good JDV im glad, yeah rather be patient you want to make sure ich is gone 110%... your plants will hop back into shape....

15. OP
    JDV

JDV

16. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

Im no expert but there is many ways to get rid of ws. But the biggest problem is understanding the life cycle once you have that understanding, treatment becomes easy. When its visible on the fish it doesnt mean meds will help as its under the scales and encrusted and burrowed into the fish. It will also stay in the gills which is not visible During its 3 day life cycle it drops off the fish and explodes into many more parasites. When its lying on the gravel or stuck to an plant or whatever then even meds wont help only something with an copper base(copper destroys most plants and bacteria). So with meds you have an small window to treat. Thats why in tropical heat comes in you speed up the cycle and it out breeds itself not killing but the parasites cant keep up. Salt does again not kill but helps the affected wounds heal on the fish without getting infected. So your methods are perfect but time is the key. Also know that it can stay dormant in your tank so you wont see it but its present. So prevention always keep fish well fed .with good food, immune system at their best. I have also use vit c tabs and rooibos tea in my tank to aid in immune systems.

Im no expert so please correct if im wrong. This has been my findings with marine and tropical over many years In the end quarantine is the best but not always possible.

17. OP
    JDV

JDV

So Yesterday was day 7. Ich is now all gone. All fish are spot free and healthy. I even suspect one of my Swardtails might be pregnant getting lekker big.
    That or shes been eating to much of Frikkies food (Brittlenose Pleco). Going to keep temp on 32 degrees and start dropping on Saturday. Friday will be the 10 day mark.

The plan is:

Saturday - drop to 29 degrees.
    Sunday - drop to 26 degrees

Thanks all for the guidance and advice. Now I can start enjoying my tank again.

18. hviviers75

hviviers75

That is awesome news JDV glad to hear all is going well with the ICH :) keep us updated

19. OP
    JDV

JDV

Hi all

Today marks day 10, fish are clean for 3 days. Going to start dropping temp tomorrow back to 26 degrees over 2 days.
    Unfortunately it did come at a price. One of my plants did not survive melted and stems went all brown and started to fall a part.

But its actually OK was thinking of removing it in anyway very messy plant.
    I am just glad the ICH is gone

20. hviviers75

hviviers75

Hey JDV, bud it is only a plant your fish are the most important :) that is veyr good news well done. do it very slowly even if you have to over 4 days

21. OP
    JDV

JDV

Thanks @hviviers75, fully agree I rather loose a plant than my fish. We got quite attached to them.
    One of the swardtails decided 2 nights ago its a good idea to start pecking at Frikkie (Brittlenose Pleco) he moved twice,
    3rd time he stripped and started to chase the Sward, never sow that ever. I was crying of laughter needles to say they leave him alone now.

Ya the lowering of the temp is still bothering me a bit.
    My temp controller I can set at 0.1 increments so the plan is to drop it by 0.2 degrees at a time. The actual effect on the tank
    will be 0.7 degrees it will drop by 0.2 to set temp and then another 0.5 and then start heating again to set temp. With such small drops and ups I don't even think the fish will
    know whats happening. Its going to keep me busy the entire weekend though -lol.

Recent Posts