243 litre stocking options

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by Chandz, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Chandz

Chandz

Hi all! I started a new planted tank and would love some advice on how many fish I can add as well as what you would recommend.

I have a 120 x 45 x 45cm tank which is heavily planted and has a filter output of 2540 L/H.

I already have a pair of longfin German Blue rams, 3 False Julii Corys, 2 Albino Corys and a Clown Pleco. They will all be transfered into the new tank after it has finished cycling.

I also plan to import one or two pairs of Apistogramma.

Other fish I really like:
    > Rummynose Tetras
    > Chili Rasboras
    > Cherry Barbs
    > Celestial Pearl Danio

Which would you recommend and how many?

Also should I add more Corys?

Thank you!!!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I would normally reply to a thread like this - no more than 5 guppies - and let the rest happen.

but what you have in the 3ft and the vision you have for the new tank - no argument from my side ... esp since the Rummynose Tetras are great bio-indicators for water quality.

When it comes to fish like planting plants in your garden - odd numbers look more for when they school.. so 5,7,9 etc so maybe once your new tank is stable - transfer the current across - make sure water parameters match very closely for things like the rams ... let that be for a few weeks see who is where in the tank ( so occupying top - middle - bottom ) then as you see good stock of the wish list add then in after some good time in a QT. No point in risking your current stock.

Later Ferdie

PS - why no pics ?

4. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

If you are planning on bringing them in from overseas, it will be a very costly exercise and won't be worth your while.
    Possibly better to source them locally - either from a breeder or a lfs.

5. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Hi @Chandz ,

Welcome to the Forum

Sounds good so far.. please share some pictures with us....

I think I would add .. 6 or 7 Rummynose... wait a little and add 6 or 7 Rasboras.. mind you they very small so you could probably add a few more
    Then sit back a week or two and re evaluate your tank... what its looking like and what you feel is missing

I like to add a bit at a time and then sit back and admire the tank and see what I think I feel is still missing instead of adding everything at once or in a hurry

As @f-fish also mentioned adding a bit at a time allows your media to adjust and cope with the extra load

6. OP
    Chandz

Chandz

I'm planning on cycling the tank for a month (I've just finished week one) before adding any fish. Hopefully it will give my plants some time to establish themselves and grow a better root structure. I bought the plants at a LFS but most of them were imported and growing above water. So they need time to adjust and grow their underwater leaves.

I'm also using ADA Amazonia so there will be an initial ammonia spike from what I've read. I have been using advice I found on this forum to do water changes everyday for a week, every second day for the second week, every few days for the third and once a week for the fourth week.

I tested my ammonia yesterday and it was 0.25

Im currently adding Flourish twice a week and will be starting Flourish Excel soon. I won't be using CO2 and bought plants that can still thrive without it.

I'm not sure if waiting so long is good advice, what do you think?

Ps. While I have done a lot of research, I'm still new to this and would appreciate any additional advice/corrections.
    (We've only our Tropheus Dubiosi tank for +- a year and my other small planted tank for about 4 months.)

7. OP
    Chandz

Chandz

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate the advice!

I must agree about the Rummynose! Of course their beauty aside, I love the fact that their red noses go pale when water conditions aren't right!

I do plan on adding mine first then later adding a few at a time after quarantining the new stock. I would really hate for any of mine to die! I've grown very attached to each and every one of them.

Also thank you for the advice about odd numbers. Great advice!

8. OP
    Chandz

Chandz

I would love and much prefer to buy locally.

Unfortunately I have tried LFS and none of their warehouses have stock. From what I understand, there is a guy locally (Cape Town) who works with a guy from Pretoria to import them from the UAE.

9. OP
    Chandz

Chandz

Thank you! I will definitely take your guys advice and add new stock slowly!

I love your idea about adding a few Rummynose, then Rasboras and re evaluating! I think that is the best method as I hate to later return any stock. I honestly feel really bad about it.

I will definitely share pics at a later date, I just want my tank to settle a bit more and the plants to grow in.

MariaS likes this.

Recent Posts