15l Shrimp tank

Discussion in 'Species Tanks' started by TetraJacques, Sep 18, 2019.

1. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Hi TASA,

My second project is about to kick off this weekend. This time I want to setup a shrimp specific tank.

Are there any thing specific that I actually need to do that's not normal to a planted tank setup ? I'm a complete noob when it comes to keeping shrimp but I do have quite a couple of them at the moment that I would like to move to their own dedicated tank.

The tank size is about 15l. I was thinking of creating a nano iwagumi style tank. The substrate I want to use is Amazonia or similar. I still have a couple of petrified wood stone that I would use as well for the setup. Because of the tank size I thought of using a HOB filter as it wouldn't take up space in the tank.

Any suggestions you guys have regarding style of the tank and plants perhaps? I can always just use cuttings from my current setup.

2. Guest

3. necris

necris

i will be following along, have a 35l shrimp tank idea forming for once my 54l has settled.
    as far as i have seen a coarser grain substrate is preferred, but i am assuming it will be the same or similar between tanks.
    what shrimp do you currently have?

4. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

No problem let's call this @TetraJacques / @necris thread lol :thumbup:

I did some research a long while back and it seems they prefer a planted substrate like Amazonia. But I see some people use sponge filters with a normal air pump. I was just wondering why. I'm also aware that the very sensitive to metals so rock choice is very important. I have cherry shrimps.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  5. necris

necris

have sen a few vids where they feed quite heavily off the algae on sponge filters, i would assume due to their size and potential of breeding sponge would avoid them being pulled into the filter intakes etc

6. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

That makes a lot of sense, maybe I should consider a sponge filter then. Will cost cheaper in the end as well. I'm sure I have a airpump lying somewhere.

7. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

I think also the reason for the songe filter maybe is to not create too much current and blow the shrimp around?
    But I think the main reason is it's safer for them so they don't get sucked up.
    Also the guy at wazeers told me shrimp need a good substrate with I think it was calcium in it, as this would assist with the molting. But then I've seen many videos where they have pfs only and the shrimps were fine

8. Cale24

Cale24

I'm considering getting some shrimp soon and having not kept them before, been reading up a bit.
    This local video is a pretty good overview:

I got myself a bag of Akadama substrate which I'll probably use: https://www.bonsaitree.co.za/collections/akadama-for-shrimp-and-aquascaping
    Aquasoil works well though, if you have that, but Akadama is pretty well priced. The 'fine' size looks similar to the typical aquasoil balls.

I'll probably put some peat and root tabs beneath the Akadama, or maybe JBL Aquabasis instead. Not sure yet. It can be capped too apparently so also looking into that...

I sometimes like to irk LFS staff and ask 'How much do these bugs cost?' when I see shrimp for sale.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    T. Guppy likes this.
  9. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

@T. Guppy, I also see there is minerals you can add to the water / substrate? Have a look at Mcmerwe.co.za. Jacques there is pretty clued up on keeping shrimps!!

@Cale24, thanks for the video. I know Jacques knows his thing when it comes to aquariums. I mostly do business with Mcmerwe Farms when it comes to substrate etc. Personally I wouldn't recommend any other online store but Mcmerwe Farms

Cale24 and T. Guppy like this.
  10. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

@Cale24 It must kill those staff when you call them bugs :lol:

Cale24 likes this.
  11. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Ok, apparently 15l is to small for shrimp so I guess I'll need a little bit of a bigger tank to this. So this weekend I'll go search for a bigger thank lol

12. Cale24

Cale24

I've seen people keep them in that size but its just harder to keep water consistency. The tank I'll be using is 22l so not much bigger, but 37l / 10 US gal seems the default suggestion online.
    Have you lost any of your shrimp in the 3ft of yours?

13. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I honestly don't know. They little ones all have colour now and they everywhere between the plants. Now and again when I give them a SERA pellet I see a lot of them. Two had eggs but I don't think they will survive with the fish. The silver tip tetras are quite aggressive.

necris likes this.
  14. Cale24

Cale24

Cool, good to hear they're still multiplying anyway. Your tank is already quite lush and in a couple months I'm sure it will provide plenty more cover for them.
    Silvertip tetras are crazy I know, very aggressive, especially when adults. The biggest ones used to even chase my rams.

15. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Yeah I've got one specific one that's a problem. He even chases the one bigger than him but she might be female actually. I'll check tonight

16. Pezulu

Pezulu

15L is fine to start off with shrimp.
    You can start with 10, and if everything goes according to how you hope it does, you can start transferring the population explosion to a larger tank.

I started with 20 Blue Diamonds in a 45 litre tank, and am considering adding another 3 foot to hold the majority of them.
    There are currently about 100+ in the tank now.

I use Seachem Flourite Dark substrate in the tank, together with a Cascade 150 HOB and a small sponge filter connected to a Tetratec 150.
    All my tanks have some form of plants in them, together with driftwood, dragon stone, Indian Almond Leaves and Cholla Wood.

My 3ft Red shrimp tank has a black sand substrate, with Anubias, Java Fern, Susswassertang and Bolbitis on driftwood.
    Filtration is a Cascade 200 HOB with sponge on the intake, and a sponge filter connected to a Tetratec 150.

I feed my shrimp daily.
    Their standard food is Sera Shrimp Naturals, of which they get about a quarter teaspoon daily.
    On treat days they red shrimp get Nature Boys fruit mix, and the blue shrimp get Nature Boys nettle mix.
    Once a week they get a block of frozen Artemia with spirulina and garlic.

20190918_134432.jpg 20190918_134412.jpg

TetraJacques likes this.
  17. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

@Pezulu, thank you very much for this reply. I have a bit of an idea what to do and look out for. I think it's better I look at a bigger tank for this project and get the right stuff from the start.

18. Pezulu

Pezulu

Bigger is always better.

19. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Maybe I should just get a bigger tank for my fish and leave the shrimps in the 3 foot lol :lol:

A new day, T. Guppy and necris like this.
  20. Pezulu

Pezulu

That's not a bad idea.

A new day likes this.
  21. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I'll have a look into it. A bit of derailment of the thread but have you ever done a walstad setup tank? @Pezulu

If I do go larger I don't want to spend an extra R2 / 3000 on substrate

Recent Posts