1500 liter tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by RobK, Jan 6, 2018.

1. RobK

RobK

Hi all, I have a number of questions for a new tank that I am setting up, the tank is 1500 liters so I guess a medium sized tank? I am going with a sump filter which I have build and will be asking for advice on this as well.
    So first question : how level/straight would the stand have to be ie gaps on the corners before being a problem? See attached pics 1515244577524399632245.jpg 1515244682236-1600909668.jpg

2. Guest

3. rsa

rsa

For a medium sized tank being level doesn't matter.....

4. OP
    RobK

RobK

Thanks rsa, but that's 1.5 Tons weight. I might be describing it wrong, I'm referring to the flatness of the Base, i.e. corner to corner.

5. Christiaan Duvenage

Christiaan Duvenage Moderator

Umm I would say it's pretty important.Pressures at the bottom of the tank is the highest so if it's not leveled properly it could lead to unnecessary excessive pressure and a cracked base.

I would not consider a 1500l a medium tank...its a mother...

Divan Terblanche likes this.
  6. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

the longer the more problematic it becomes - tank looks like it is floating base - so that helps.

Since you are building a wall and all, why not do a slab that is 100% level?

Later Ferdie

7. OP
    RobK

RobK

Lol thanks Christiaan, maybe I've been on the Internet too much , 3000 liters seems to be considered big there?

8. OP
    RobK

RobK

Thanks F-fish, I was considering that but seemed like a lot of PT, the Tank is 2.1m long , and I have 3mm max difference between corners would this still be too much? Also what is the advantage of having a floating Base?

9. Jwh

Jwh

It’s a large tank, you’ll want it 100% level and the slab 100% flat and level. At least 30mm polystyrene on the base. The areas that are critical for support are the sides & corners.
    Believe me you don’t want to mop up 1500l of water. Good luck with the project.

RobK likes this.
  10. OP
    RobK

RobK

Thanks Jwh, that's my concern I like swimming just not through my TV room.

Anton99 likes this.
  11. rsa

rsa

Lol

12. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Well not doing a slab .... maybe better off building a steal stand then. That way you know the structure is all tied in. From the picture is is hard to say what you are aiming for as a stand .. only the three legs of the walls - no lintel in the front / back ? Do you have brick force wire tying things in? The cerement between the thin side (90mm .. maxi brick right ?) blocks might also be too thick at least with a concrete top you are making a closed distributed load structure.

Wonder how long will need to let this all cure before one can judge the strength of the structure.

Later Ferdie

13. OP
    RobK

RobK

Thank Ferdie, used wire force between all layers , also filled the hollows in the bricks .. so it's solid! I have 3 x 50 x 90 wooden supports running the length of the structure and a brick layer on the back. Then on the top I'm going to use 2 x layers of 20mm plywood to help spread the load 1st one will be screw into the cross beams. Do you feel this could fail? I would rather over engineer than have it fail.1515267921473399632245.jpg

14. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

ah that looks lekker ;-) no need to get the welder out.

If you want to see what you are out corner to corner use a water level. See https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Water-Level should give you an idea where the issue is.

3mm you should be able to make up over that distance with maybe a thin Styrofoam sheet between the two 20mm planks ... not even sure it is needed but could help in leveling humps out - remember to counter sync any screws.

Later Ferdie

15. OP
    RobK

RobK

Phew thanks Ferdie, I was looking for my welders helmet.

16. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

How long you going to let it cure ?

17. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Water helps with the hardening process .. so it really is not about just being dry ..

18. OP
    RobK

RobK

Next Question : I have built a sump from an old fish tank but it's my first time...
    Got the water coming into a reservoir with a pre filter , it then falls down onto sponges topped with orange bags (LFS suggested the orange bags) it then flows into the next compartment with ceramic tubes topped with more orange bags, It then flows into a heater copartment then into a fluidizing compartment and finally into the pump housing ... does this sound right?1515311779316399632245.jpg

19. OP
    RobK

RobK

It's been sitting about a week now, so will be around 2 weeks before the tank goes up and the I've got to connect everything so probably another week before water even touches the tanks so let's say 3 weeks... this should be sufficient as the cement mix was about 2.5 to 1 so higher than normal.

f-fish likes this.
  20. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

All good - but research what you are trying to do with this ...

Probably makes allot more sense for marine than tropical. You could always just fill it with LECA if the bed does not work as expected.

You might find that your total l/h does not allow for all the different filtraion methods over time.. So give it a spin, the glass looks complicated enough that you could probably make anything work.

Later Ferdie

supertramp likes this.
  21. OP
    RobK

RobK

Thanks again, tried to keep it as flexible as possible what is LECA?

Recent Posts