Will Cabinet Hold

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by FrankyBZN, Nov 26, 2014.

1. FrankyBZN

FrankyBZN

Hi Guys

I bought a tank that is bigger then I anticipated but I just had to have it.

Dimensions of the tank is 50 x 30 x 34.5cm i believe its a 49 Litre Tank. Its currently being testes for leaks etc.

DSC_2662.jpg

DSC_2663.jpg

DSC_2664.jpg

DSC_2665.jpg

DSC_2668.jpgDSC_2672.jpg

I currently have a cabinet that is made with 13mm melamine (black). It has 3 sides to it (back and Left and Right but no Front.) The cabinet top is 60 x 30cm

Do u guys think this cabinet will hold the tank I have? Tank with water and hardware etc will prob be round about 60kg I think?

DSC_1670.jpg

DSC_2662.jpg

DSC_2663.jpg

DSC_2664.jpg

DSC_2665.jpg

DSC_1670.jpg

DSC_2668.jpg

DSC_2672.jpg

2. Guest

3. WarLordGT5

WarLordGT5

DSC_1670.jpgIf you have a look on your last pic how the wood is buckling with the small tank i wouldnt think so, what i recomend is for you to add a brace in the middle, maybe a 25x25 tubing(painted black to look nice) and make shure its level and if it has feet that they will hold it

DSC_1670.jpg

4. OP
    FrankyBZN

FrankyBZN

Hi warlord, the cabinet was second hand and was shaped like that when I bought it. It has wooden legs if i can recall but ill double check. WRT the tubing what would be the best way to attach it to the wood?

5. WarLordGT5

WarLordGT5

after youve slotted in the support you can just put the top back on again
    if you are worried about it maybe moving in its slot, you can always just sucure it in plce with a screw or 2support.jpg

support.jpg

6. OP
    FrankyBZN

FrankyBZN

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. WarLordGT5

WarLordGT5

No problem, hope it helps:)

8. Sash

Sash

OR
    If you dont mind the arm in the middle, just measure this, cut wood, paint and screw it in.
    Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

9. Sash

Sash

OH and they should be in-line with each other top>bottom so it carries the pressure downwards. If there is a space between the bottom and the floor then fit a painted block underneath.

10. OP
    FrankyBZN

FrankyBZN

Thanks Sash I like this idea also because having to "damage" the cupboard I paid for does not fit very well with me seeing I suck at DIY and have no Tools besides a few screwdrivers.

Only problem is to find an off cut of black melamine. Don't see the point in paying R400 - R500 for a full sheet of it.

I have thought of using a white melamine also and painting but it works out just as expensive. As u need to buy a primer and then paint etc.

And I doubt having a black cupboard and white insert (divider) will look good?

Luckily the shelf in the middle is loose and can be removed.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  11. Sash

Sash

No not at all. You will "probably" even get away with a 22x22 piece of pine. Builders sells them for like 30bucks or so. Then spray it - another 30 bucks. If it is too thin, you can always double it.

12. OP
    FrankyBZN

FrankyBZN

Thx @Sash i def have a few options. but first things first test the water holding capability of the tank for leaks etc then from there ill make a plan. I thought id add the empty onto the cabinet and maybe add a little water to see how the wood does...good thing about it the tank will be supported by the left and right side panels which the current small tank is not being done atm.

If i notice that its not coping ill add the additional support but i might end up doing it anyway just for piece of mind. the stand can support up to a 2 ft tank Ive been told.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. Sash

Sash

best o luck!

14. JCL

JCL

I don't think you need to modify too much. I don't like the look of the top having sagged as it has, although you state it was like that when you bought it. If I was you, I would just get myself a new top-piece of 19 or 22mm; depending on your budget (white/black melamine or plywood (marine or industrial and spray it).
    I would put this piece on top of your cabinet and thge tank on top of that. This would spread the weight over the whole area and the weight will be taken up by your 3 side/back panels.
    By the way, you never uploaded a pic of the cupboard with the new tank on top (just to see how/where it would fit).

15. OP
    FrankyBZN

FrankyBZN

Thanks JCL for the idea. Yes currently the tank is holding water I'm leaving it like that until Sunday to check for leaks or anything. Ill be doing my water changes on my current tanks on Sunday then ill move the small one foot tank down and put the empty tank on the cabinet to see how it looks etc.

16. Chongkie

Chongkie

best way to test if it would hold the tank is to sit on the cabinet and test.

With a 60lt tank, I doubt you will need to modify it all. That cabinet looks quite study.

17. OP
    FrankyBZN

FrankyBZN

:blink1: thats the plan after doing water leak test. being done for a few days will drain tank Friday evening. its been holding water since Tuesday evening.

will put tank on cabinet and fill it with a bit of water and take from there.

18. Sash

Sash

Haha Franky, Such a long water test! Stock that thing up!

19. OP
    FrankyBZN

FrankyBZN

not rushing this time. but once the initial stages are done and dusted it will go quick.

20. HEIHACHI

HEIHACHI

Franky just change the top man tbh I would be abit worried about it being melamine in the first place its like a sponge. Maybe you can get something to sit on top of the existing cupboard formica kitchen counter tops are usually easy enough to find?

21. OP
    FrankyBZN

FrankyBZN

Only a problem if u spill masses of water. I hardly spill water when doing water changes.

I can get a piece of 18mm shutterply...would this do? Ill spray it black.

Recent Posts