I started this very same thread on another forum. Seems like the idea was new and exciting. It was published in a newsletter and has been a hot topic ever since. If the international hobbyists loved the idea then I'm certain you guys will love it too.
It's basically a container transformed into a pond. It is however Non-filtered and non heated.
I ran this setup for 4 months with 5 mollies. I ended up with 50+ juveniles and adults at the end of the warm season. I gave away every single fish before I had a problem on my hands.
Has anyone tried this yet or planned to?
- WATER CHANGES ARE ESSENTIAL OR YOU WILL HAVE GREEN WATER IN NO TIME AT ALL.
- ONLY USE THIS SETUP IN THE WARM SEASONS OF SPRING AND SUMMER.
- DON'T TRY THIS WITH COMETS OR GOLDFISH. THEY MIGHT JUMP OUT OF THE WATER.
- USE ONLY SUITABLE LIVE BEARERS OR COLD TOLERANT FISH LIKE BETTAS.
- DON'T TRY BREEDING - THIS SETUP INCREASES BREEDING RATES DRAMATICALLY! UNLESS YOU HAVE BUYERS FOR YOUR FISH, STAY AWAY!
ADDING PREDATORY FISH LIKE TIGER BARBS MAY CONTROL POPULATION.