Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

@deondupreez First of all, That is 1 beautiful tank!!!

K now i understand hahaha!! it just seems like the second would lose some pressure but if there is no air then it shouldn't right??

But thanks for your explanation it is very appreciated!! +1 to rep ;)

I think im gonna implement your exact setup if you dont mind ?? without the luxury of the venturi! so im gonna have to prime it manually if that will still work??

here is my setup well the thread of me building my setup! http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/sh...tank-and-stand so i might need your advice sometime in the future!

Thanks Again

Regards

Spencer

0 Not allowed!

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Registered users do not see these google ads. Register today! It's free.

Deon
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Spencer,

Thanks for the comment.

I do think that if you use mysetup you should include a ventruri to extract the air from the overflow. Most powerheads I have seen have a venturi fitted with it. I even saw one at Pick n Pay +-R100 that featured one. The problem is with the low flow velocity I am running that any air trapped inside the overflow will not be suched to the canister, you may need to extract it.

Your stand looks very sturdy. Compared to the high density wood used in my stand, your stand is a lot stronger.

Regards,

Deon

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by deondupreez; 28-04-2012 at 13:39.

Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

The tank im building doesnt have an over flow :/. An over flow is when the water runs over the edge and falls down the otherside right??

I drew this picture of what i was planning! i was also think the canister filter has a mechanism to take the air out doesnt it??

Name:  Filtration setup.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  12.9 KB

0 Not allowed!

Deon
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Hi Spencer,

Your layout looks fine.

Name:  overflow.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  10.9 KB

The over flow that I refer to is a basic pipe as show in figure. The green tip on the top is my evacuation point. The water does not fall down the overflow but is rather siphoned from the tank. To make this possible you need to remove the air from the pipe at startup. During usage air is trapped in the elbow from the tank due to random water movement etc. So you need something to continiously remove the air. The canister is basically a bucket that is fed with an inline pump. Air can pass threw the canister filter but the flow will stop the moment the pump cavity is filled with air.

If you go for smaller section piping the flow velocity will increase and you may manage to run the system without a vacuum point. But the mass flow will drop due to the increase frictionlosses on the piping.

Regards,

Deon

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by deondupreez; 28-04-2012 at 21:53.

Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

k your diagram a bit more higher grade?? do you use inventor, or something similar??? haha

Ok finally thinking i get it 100 percent so that little powerhead is connected that green nob "extractor" as a result taking the air out of the bend over the tank ??

Wow thanks for educating me haha as you can see im no engineer, im actually busy doing bcom accounting at rhodes university!!

0 Not allowed!

Deon
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Ok you have it right.

Your home town PE? and study in Grahamstown? Best of luck with the studies!

No not inventor to expencive. Have a look at blender.org totally for free.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

Thats exactly it!! so my project is on halt well not until tuesday because of the long weekend, but it goes back on halt when im at varsity But i still browse this site 24/7 haha just learning and learning. So yea thanks again for sharing your system with me, once i actually get to setting up my filtration, i will upload pics and stuff!!

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

Hey guys

A friend of mine is wanting to get rid of his fluval 405!!! Can any1 comment on these filters??

0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123