filtration (canister filters)

Discussion in 'Filtration' started by wrenchy, Apr 24, 2012.

1. wrenchy

wrenchy

Hi guys

Im looking at some cannister filters for my new tank! i just thought i would get some input from your guys side!

what brands models etc are good!

im looking for around 1500litre and hour as my tank is 303 litres.

im going to put my own mediums in, im thinking sponges, seachem matrix, and seachem purigen

im a big fan of purigen, since i got it from altum my tank has really become crystal clear!!

oh and preferebly models i can get from sponsors of this site, would like to support them as best as possible.

Thanks

Spencer

2. Guest

3. Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Eheim is the way forward. Expensive but doesn't break...

4. Verndog

Verndog APSA:DOUBLEV

I swear by Tetra-tec, at the price you just cant beat it. Super silent and efficient. Eheim is hopelessly over priced by comparison. you looking at +- R5000,00 for a eheim in that class, it is ludicris. Excellent equipment when you ignore the price factor.

5. Cropheus

Cropheus

I have had cascade 700 and 1000 for 4 months now, love them, not a drop of issues. They are also little bit more cheaper than the tetratec an eheim

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

6. Willem

Willem High fin Pangasius

I have four Tetra-tec 1200 cannisters and a Eheim will get more Tetra's in the future had a problem with one of them and they exchanged without questions.

7. AquaS

AquaS

I also use a Tetratec canister and can definately recommend them. They are very quiet and comes with all media included. Unfortunately they do not come in a 1500L/h version. Their biggest filter is 1200L/h.

Their is unfortunately not a lot of worthwhile brand options that has a higher than 1200L/h flow rate.

8. OP
    wrenchy

wrenchy

Thanks guys, then i think ill be having a good look at tetra tec then!! surprised no sponsors have come back to me! oh wells will have to support my lfs!

9. Verndog

They now have a tetra tec ex2400... Which I'm guessing has a flow rate of 2400Lph. I'm not sure if local Distributers have stock yet. I have seen a few grey imports making there runs. It's a huge filter.

10. OP
    wrenchy

wrenchy

yea im sure the 1200 one will be perfect!!??

11. AquaS

AquaS

The EX2400 is discontinued.

12. Verndog

Really! That is sad, that thing was a monster. I wonder if it was discontinued for technical problems? I cant imagine that it didnt sell well.

13. JP01

JP01

Most complaints about the EX2400 was that it hummed badly and allot got returned, hopefully they luanch a quiter model.

14. Verndog

Wow, okay thats strange. I have to look at the flow in my tank to make sure my filter is running. It is very silent, my Co2 diffuser makes more noise than tha canister : )

15. OP
    wrenchy

wrenchy

so i youtube'd all the different canisters the fluval g5 series loooks like a really nice design as well, then checked how much it was 3k :( on @Moolis site! :O where the tetra tec 1188 so yea WOW big difference

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  16. deondupreez

deondupreez Deon

I use two TetraTec EX1200 in parallel on my 500L tank. Havo no problem. The two filters give me excellent circulation and I can custom my filter media having 8 baskets in total.

17. OP
    wrenchy

wrenchy

@deondupreez Yes, i was even thinking about doing them in parallel for my 300 litre tank. according to this website which i cant find now :( he likes his tanks to have the 10x rule so yea interesting stuff!! just would like to ask does this mean you have two seperate intakes?? and outlets or share them??

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. deondupreez

deondupreez Deon

I noted that the piping sold with the TectraTec systems 20mm pipe will not give the 1200l/h as claimed. So made a modification. I use 50mm plumber pipe running from the tank to the filter and a second pipe running back to the tank. The 50mm piping mainly reduce the flow friction to almost nothing. The piping is so arranged that two filters can run in parallel giving me approximately 1180l/h of flow per unit. My tank a Boyu 500l came with its own pump featuring a venturi capable of pulling 700mm vacuum that I attached to the overflow, more than enough to self prime the system during startup, (no need to use the canister prime pumping system).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  19. OP
    wrenchy

wrenchy

You shud create a thread of your tank!! i would love to see pictures of ur filtration!! i dunno if i get it!! think im being slightly backward haha!! dont get how the two filters connect to the tank. so the over flow feeds into the two filters? actually dont get what u mean hahaha Pictures are worth a thousand words!!

Also very interesting that the 20mm tubing doesnt give you 1200 litre an hour!! did you put a flow meter on??

20. OP
    wrenchy

wrenchy

Also im a bit of a newbie to this whole thing!! haha never owned a cannister filter before always used HOB aquaclear

21. deondupreez

deondupreez Deon

Hi Wenchy,

You are correct, picture is better than words.

My tank is a 500L Boyu, it came out with a driptray filter positioned in the canopy. The canopy filter has a pump show in picture top right corner, the unit has a venturi that is quite capable to pull a vacuum of 700mm. When I bought the tank I reaslised the filter capacity of the tank is way to low and looked at upgrading by adding a canister filter.
    The Tectra EX1200 was speced as a 1200l/h unit and looked good at first. When I installed it the first time I noted that the piping is to small to transfer the 1200l/h it claimed. (did a flow calculation you may read more abolut this at http://www.engineersedge.com/fluid_flow/pressure_drop/pressure_drop.htm) I decided to upgrade te pipe sizes and leave room for expansion in the future. There are two pipe lines, one running from the top right down to the cansiters and another pipe line runnig to the top left flowing back into the tank.

IMG_4301.jpg

Near the canisters the pipeline is split off to each cansiter position as can be seen in the picture below.

IMG_4302.jpgIMG_4308.jpgIMG_4309.jpg
    Sorry for the bad angle but I did not think of tanking pictures at the time of installing. But you can see one pipe running down inlet line (top of picture) from the rank and splitting off to each canister, you can also see another pipe running from the canisters back to the top outlet line ( the pipe rinning out on the buttom side of the picture).

The tanks original pump has a venturi as mentioned, I connected this to the top right pipe to evacuate the air at startup. The water is then basically succed up from the tank and filles the piping system to the cansiters (No need to use the cansiter priming system) the moment the water reach the cansiters their own pumps start to push the water back to tank via the outlet line.

The modification enabled me to reach 2360l/h (calculated) using the two cansiters. The filter in the canopy is speced to filter at 1500l/h have not confirmed it with a calc.

My intension with the filters cansiters was to customise my filter meda as required. Stripping a canister out of its charcoal when adding medication disrubs the bio filter. Now I can decide what filter media to use and in what packaging. Currently using Matrix instead of the noodes. Works perfectly.

My tank is still a work in progress but my intension is to carry about 50 Malawis. Still need to work on decor and background.

Hope the info helps

Deon

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4309.jpg

wrenchy likes this.

Recent Posts