PDA

View Full Version : Overflow Box Help!!!

roderickc
23-07-2010, 13:18
Hi Guys

I need your advice!! I have been looking at my cichlid tanks and every person i know that i know has a sump. My problem is that my 1.2m tank is made from 10mm safety glass lol (ridiculous, I Know!:eek:) anyway i was looking at a overflow box to get the water into the sump. The power head way is not a good idea if eskom decides to switch our power off. I have been doing some reading but i know the best way is to go the whole in the tank!.

Do you guys know of maybe a a overflow box that is maybe a bit on the cheap side. I was looking at the overflow boxes at the LPS but they want R1300.00

So please HELP!!!!

thysie
23-07-2010, 13:24
Diy youtube i think will be your cheapest.

ACE007
23-07-2010, 14:51
Here is a quick overflow DIY (http://canadafishtank.com/wp_marcel/2007/05/11/the-quick-and-easy-aquarium-overflow/)

Point number 4 is the important one to keep the siphon going...

roderickc
23-07-2010, 15:08
Thanks guys

Is the diy method safe and reliable?

ACE007
23-07-2010, 15:19
If you take your time with it and test it before implementing it it should work 110%. The main thing with a custom overflow like this is to keep the siphon.

That is why the pipe going down to your sump needs to be higher than the outlet on the pipe coming from your overflow in the tank. Then your siphon is save.

So when your pump from the sump starts pumping water back into the tank the water is automatically siphoned out. And if the power goes out only the water in the outside box is drained.

Where in CT are you?

roderickc
23-07-2010, 15:48
I am out in the southern subs zeekoevlei